The Australian Curriculum highlights the importance of learning languages. Reservoir High School offers Italian from Years 7-12. All students will study Italian in Years 7 and 8.
Students will be focusing on developing vocabulary knowledge and sentence structure in order to be able to use the language in a variety of contexts and formats, such as reading, writing, speaking and listening.
They develop communication skills through a series of classroom activities using the language.
The areas of study are based on current topics, short reading texts, poems, scenarios, films, comprehension exercises, songs and a variety of research assignments to enhance intercultural knowledge and cross-curriculum awareness.
The language classroom is equipped with an interactive whiteboard and computers for every student. Students are encouraged to use a variety of IT including multimedia and interactive online programs.
- Work book exercises
- Homework tasks to extend vocabulary acquisition
- Short descriptive writing pieces based on the topics studied
- Dialogues and gap fill exercises
- Word/phrase matching activities
- Basic grammatical structures
- Writing for different audiences
- Identifying familiar vocabulary
- Practising sound combinations
- Communicating content
- Reading to inform
- Reading for understanding
- Developing fluency and confidence
- Exposure to a variety of printed texts
Listening and Speaking
- Listening for understanding
- Aural competencies
- Identifying sound combinations
- Role- play activities
- Language to describe places, people and events
- Formal oral presentations using IT
- Using language for everyday conversation
- Study of Italian culture both in Italy and in Australia
- Migration and its impact on societies
- Cultural enrichment activities such as poetry competitions, excursions
- Community events such as Italian/international days.
- Written vocabulary and spelling tests, dictation, listening and comprehension tasks, class presentations, oral presentations, cultural research
- Museo Italiano Carlton
- Lygon St Restaurant